Pages

Monday 24 October 2011

Want to Retire Early? No place for Debt Instruments!

One of my key learnings on this journey to early retirement, is that I need to give my current corpus the best chance of growing significantly over the next several years.  To achieve this aggressive goal, I have decided that my portfolio cannot have any debt instruments!  To put it simply, I will not be investing in Fixed Deposits, National Savings Certificates (NSCs), Post Office Monthly Income Schemes (POMIS), Recurring Deposits (RD) etc. 
 Now this is a bold statement, given that my parents always focused on debt-like products for all their savings.  However, I firmly believe that in the accumulation phase of my career, I cannot afford to take the path of low risk guaranteed returns.  Also, I already have a fair portion of my portfolio in debt-like products that I cannot avoid.  A part of my salary compulsorily goes towards the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) which is basically invested in debt.  I also invest in balanced Mutual Funds, as part of my MF portfolio, and these funds always have a portion of their AUM invested in debt.  Finally, I continue to service a home loan EMI, and I think it would be better for me to pay off that loan (if at all I want to invest in debt) than directly invest in debt instruments.

Do you agree with my strategy?

No comments:

Post a Comment